Vehicle Registration Requirements

After purchasing a car in Wyoming, all drivers are obliged to register it. The vehicles must be registered with the Wyoming Department of Transportation.
The registration process has to be completed in person at the local office.
If you have recently relocated to Wyoming, you should first obtain your residence and then register your car or motorcycle. Those who have relocated to Wyoming for a short amount of time (almost 4 months) need to obtain a temporary document.

Application for Registration

To register your automobile in Wyoming you have to undergo some basic procedures of documentation and payments. First of all, you must have valid insurance. As already mentioned above you have to pay a visit to the local DMV office. Before heading to the office, have the following documents ready:
  • A duplicate of the car title (or the title number).
  • Insurance documentation.
  • The vehicle identification number (VIN).
  • If the car was purchased from a dealership, a copy of the dealer invoice.
  • The lease contract (if available).
  • A completed Certificate of Title and VIN/HIN Inspection Application (MV-300A).
If you are registering a truck or a trailer you have to submit a weight slip. You have to pay both a county fee as well as a state fee for car registration.
After the successful submission, you will need to apply for Wyoming License Plates.


If you want to operate a motorcycle in WY you must have a special approval along with your common license. If you don’t have a current DL you have to also apply to get one.
To obtain a license to ride a motorcycle you have to be:
  • at least 15 years for a learner’s permit
  • at least 17 years for a license
All the applicants have to submit their proof of identity and the course certification.
If you haven’t completed any education courses for riding skills and techniques, the state will require written skills tests.
For endorsements and related services, the WY Department of Transportation charges the following fees:
  • $10 for 90-day restricted instruction access.
  • $20 for one-year instruction access.
And if you are applying for a motorcycle safety training there is a $50 charge for residents and $150 for non-residents. The initial permit costs $40.

Renewal and Replacement

You have to renew your permit before the deadline mentioned in your documentation. That is, you have to undergo the renewal about a month before it expires to avoid late penalties.
The renewal should be done in person in a local office. To renew you have to submit the following documents:
  • Your current registration card
  • Renewal notice
  • LP number
  • VIN number
  • Your DL and address
  • Checks of the payments
Costs are based on the type of permit as well as the vehicle weight.
If you ever lose your title or registration, please, apply for a replacement. Take your ID and pay a visit to the nearest DMV facility. There may be applicable fees for replacement. You have to submit also a notarized affidavit explaining why you need a new title.